So when we heard that there was another branch opening on Old Broad Street, we couldn’t wait to try it out. I have to admit, the fact that the soft launch nights (13th-14th October) were boasting a huge 50% discount on all food added considerably to our excitement.
We were joined by our lovely friend Carla, which meant we could get away with ordering three huge starters and three huge mains and sharing them all, so we got to try a bit of everything.
– A half pint of shell on prawns - that were honestly the best I’ve ever tasted.
– Devilled whitebait, which could have been tastier.
– Seared scallops, which were divine.
– Classic cod, with a side of chips and mushy peas – the batter was super light and crispy and just delicious.
– Fish pie with a lovely crumbly top and creamy sauce.
– Cock and prawn curry, which had almond flaked on top and was amazing.
The house white wine was great, and for £20 a bottle you can’t complain.
The service was excellent – you would never have known it was their first night up and running.
Our bill came to… £70 with 50% off food. The cherry on the cake was the £20 voucher they gave each of us for our next visit.
Check out the full menu on their website. You can find The Fish & Chip Shop’s new City branch at 69 Old Broad Street, London N1 1RQ. It's right round the corner from Liverpool Street Station.